Saturday, 11 May 2019

Day: minus one

Daniel and Brent’s Royal Adventure
(and)
You only live once!


Day: minus one


(TLDR at the end)


A few thoughts on the monarchy in Canada.


I’ve always supported the monarchy in Canada despite it appearing to be anachronistic. I’ve never
seen myself as an ardent monarchist, but more of a pragmatic one, as under our constitution, to
create a new head of state would require a major constitutional amendment and would require the
consent of all provinces.  As Canada has failed twice in changing our constitution during my adult
life (Meech Lake and Charlottetown) I’m highly doubtful that there’s a republican in Canada who
would be able to garner enough support to even get the process started.


So looking further, by almost any measure taken, such as advanced human rights, low level of
corruption, wealth, and general high standard of living, the top ten countries in the world are almost
always: Australia, Canada, Denmark, Finland, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Sweden,
Switzerland, and the United Kingdom.  Four are Commonwealth. Four are Scandinavian (some
would argue Nordic for Finland). Eight are monarchies. There is something about the stability
of monarchies that is difficult to deny.


So, onto our Queen:  


Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom, Canada and her other Realms and
Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith.   




Her Majesty is 93 years old and has reigned for more than 67 years.  She continues to work tirelessly
and with total conviction for all 16 of her Realms and the rest of the Commonwealth.  For most
Canadians, she is the only Queen and head of state that we’ve ever known.


Brent and I are lucky enough to have been invited to one of the Queen’s Royal Garden Parties.  This
evening, Saturday, we will be on our way to the United Kingdom for a two week holiday that will surely
culminate with the Garden Party at Buckingham Palace on 21st May.  We plan to do a bit of travelling
through the UK as well and I will try my best to blog on a daily basis.


I realise some of you may have less than positive opinions of the monarchy.  Those opinions are just
fine, but in response to my blog or Facebook page, I ask you not to raise them.  If you’re not interested,
please ignore or stop following me for the next two weeks. All negative comments will be deleted.


Just to set the tone of the holiday, this is my favourite rendition of God Save The Queen:




TLDR:
  • Monarchy is okay
  • Got invited to the Queen’s garden party
  • Heading to the UK tonight
  • No negative comments please


7 comments:

  1. Hope you both have a wonderful time in England. Enjoy all there is to do and have, especially the garden party!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So excited for you both. I adore the monarch and love England. This will be an excellent adventure for you! Looking forward to the blog updates!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just want to commend your asserting the right to tell your story without carping. Hear, hear. A vigorous discussion is fine, but now when one is sharing a heart-experience.

    Douglas Duckett

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks my friend. This holiday is quite special to us. See you soon.

      Delete
  4. Very excited for you two! Have an absolutely fabulous time!

    ReplyDelete